Thursday, October 10, 2013

Interview with State Civil Services Topper


Dipankar Baidya
Trademark is pleased to introduce Dipankar Baidya, Commercial Tax Officer (CTO),working under the Govt. of West Bengal. 

In 2009, when he qualified the West Bengal Civil Services Examination (WBCS), his service rank was 11th. 

Interestingly, in 2010 he did not join WBCS (Executive) and continued as a CTO.
                     

Further, to add more feathers to his cap, Mr Baidya has crossed the hurdle of UPSC Prelims repeatedly in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012. 

He took some moments of his schedule to talk to us. We present excerpts of that interaction. 


T1: When did you start planning for Civil Services?

I began preparing for civil services from 2008.
   

T2: Why do you want to become a Civil Servant when so many career options are available?

The power and prestige associated with Civil Service always attracted me.I knew that my one signature can change the lives of the downtrodden.

T3:   How long have you seriously prepared for State Civil Services?

To be honest I  didn't get time to prepare for WBCS,as I was engaged in IAS preparation.Time gap between the two exams used to be very less.Thankfully my IAS preparation helped me to crack WBCS.


T4: What were your Optionals & Why?

Literature of English language and Political Science.I studied both the subjects at my graduation level.
   

T5: Do you think educational background plays any role in these Exams?

Yes, educational background does play an important role in these exams.For instance it is always an advantage to take subjects which he or she has studied at the graduation level.


T6: Since you were a working professional, can you elaborate your study routine? This would help other aspirants.

I preferred studying late night.Furthermore,at my work place whenever I got time I read newspapers and magazines. During holidays I used to study for long hours to compensate for the loss of preparation.

T7: How does the preparation towards UPSC & West Bengal State Civil Services differ, if any?

With the introduction of new syllabi preparation towards UPSC has become quite different from WBCS. UPSC has revamped its syllabi for the exam, but PSC WB is following the same old pattern. Nevertheless one can prepare for both the exams,but that should be done very judiciously.


T8: Did you practice writing answers for State Civils? Did it help?

Actually I gave mock tests for IAS,and that in turn helped me to write effective answers when I appeared for WBCS. I am indebted to Trademark for setting questions which matched the standard of the Civil Services Exams. 


T9: Will you please chart out a blueprint for State Civil Services?

One has to be very consistent for WBCS. It is essential to go through previous years question papers,so as to understand the pattern of exam. For the prelims,one has to thoroughly study secondary level history,geography,science and civics.Aspirants should also brush up their current affairs.

As for the mains aspirants should choose their optionals with utmost care.For the compulsory papers viz.English,language paper,Maths,Five year plans and constitution and Current affairs one has to depend on standard textbooks and magazines.


Thank You Mr Baidya for sharing your experience. 






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dipankar Da,
Your achievement has inspired me,
honestly speaking never assumed your success level.
I am privileged by getting your guidance.